Bolshaya Nikitskaya Street (1920-1933 Herzen street) runs from Manezhnaya Square to Kudrinskaya Square.
The name originates from Nikitinsky Convent that was situated on the place of the modern square. The convent was named after Nikita Gotsky.
The oldest part of the street was formed at the turn of the 15th-16th centuries along the ancient Volockaya (Novgorodskaya) road.
From the end of the 16th century the street was built up with the houses of the elite. In 1582 grandfather of tzar Mikhail Fedorovich boyar Nikita Romanovich Zakhariev-Yuriev founded 3 churches of Great Martyr Nikita.
In 1997 the main part of the buildings in the street from Nikitinskie Vorota Square to Garden Ring was included into conservation area "Povarskaya - Bolshaya Nikitskaya".