Monument to Alexander Ostrovsky was installed on Sverdlov Square (now Theatre Square) in front of the Maly Theatre in 1929. Nikolay Andreev was the sculptor and Ivan Mashkov was the architect. The monument is made from bronze and is located on a granite pedestal.
The idea of creating the monument belongs to the Society of Russian drama writers and opera composers. The place for the monument was chosen in front of the Maly Theatre where numerous plays of Ostrovsky were staged.