Moscow sightseeing tours
excursions!

 
   
 
 
Call us: +7 (965) 3813957 E-mail: mosguides@mail.ru
 
 
 

News

 

 Donskoy Monastery 

 
 

Donskoy Monastery is a friary of the Russian Church that is now located in the city of Moscow. The friary was founded in 1591 on the location of the Russian city after the attack of the Crimean Khan Gases II Giray was repelled. The Khan retreated with heavy losses and it was treated like a miracle. In the city during the fighting operated a camp church in honor of St. Sergius where was the icon of Don Mother of God. According to a legend it was the same icon with the help of which St. Sergius blessed Grand Duke Dimitri Ivanovich at the Battle of Kulikovo. The battle took place at Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary on the 8th of September 1380 on the Kulikovo field that near the Don-on-Nepryadva.
The architectural ensemble of the monastery includes: Small Monastery Cathedral (1591-1593); Large Cathedral Monastery (1686-1698); The Gate Church of the Tikhvin Icon of the Mother of God (1713-1714); Hospital Church of the Archangel Michael (family tomb of the Golitsyns, 1714); Gate bell of Donskoy Monastery (1730-1753); Church of St. Alexander of Svir (a round temple and a family tomb of the Zubovs, 1796-1798); Church of St. John Chrysostom and St. Catherine the Great (temple-tomb of the Pervushins, 1888-1891); Church of St. John Climacus (temple-tomb of the Tereshchenko family, 1898 - the beginning. XX c.) Church of St. Tikhon, Patriarch of All Russia (1997); Church of St. George (2000); Church of St. Alexander Nevsky (2006); Walls and twelve fence towers (1686-1711), governor’s building (the end of the 17th – the first half of the 18th century) Archimandrite chambers (the abbot, 1745-1750), brethren’s cells (1st quarter of the 18th century), the building of spiritual seminary (the 18th century) and the Abbot kitchen (the 18th century).
Since 1991 the monastery is run by the Moscow Patriarchate. The brethren of the monastery is not numerous.
You can visit the necropolis from 8 a.m. to 6.30 p.m. every day.


 
     
 

 Photo 

 
 
 
     
 
 
 
 

© 2010. All right reserved.
Made by www.yasite.ru