Moscow sightseeing tours
excursions!

 
   
 
 
Call us: +7 (965) 3813957 E-mail: mosguides@mail.ru
 
 
 

News

 

 Danilov Monastery 

 
 

Danilov Monastery is a monastery of the Russian Orthodox Church. The monastery is situated on the right bank of the Moskva River. The monastery was founded at the end of the 18th century by Prince Daniil of Moscow, the younger son of Prince Alexander Nevsky. In 1920 the monastery was the center of the so-called "Danilov opposition" – an informal conservative opposition to Metropolitan Sergius, led by Bishop Theodore of Volokolamsk (Pozdeevsky). The monastery was revived in the 1980s as a spiritual and administrative center of the Russian Orthodox Church.
Modern Danilov Monastery has the status of stavropegia, what means that its sacred-archimandrite (abbot) is the ruling bishop of Moscow Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia. The daily life of the monastery is managed by the governor who is in the rank of archimandrite. Like all modern monasteries in Russia Danilov Monastery is cenobitic what implies a common prayer, work, and a common table of all the brethren. The services are held daily. The monastery also has a Sunday school, catechetical courses for adults, a publishing house "Danilovskiy evangelist", an excursion office and church workshops.
Church of the Holy Fathers of the Seven Ecumenical Councils (XVII-XIX cc.) was renovated in the 1970s and in the 1980s and was reconsecrated in 1988. The church represents a complex in architectural and compositional sense building that was constructed, built and subsequently modified over the centuries. Trinity Cathedral (1833-1838) has its facades decorated with Tuscan portico; it is also decorated with closed dome rotunda. The cathedral was built in strict forms of Moscow Empire style; it was restored and reconsecrated in 1986.


 
     
 

 Photo 

 
 
 
     
 
 
 
 

© 2010. All right reserved.
Made by www.yasite.ru