Marfo-Mariinsky Convent of Mercy is a community of Sisters of Mercy, by its charter approaching the monastery. The convent is located in Moscow in Bolshaya Ordynka Street. The convent was founded founded by Grand Duchess Elizabeth Feodorovna in 1909.
After the death of her husband, Grand Duke Sergei Alexandrovich, Governor General of Moscow, Elizaveta sold their jewelry (giving into the treasury that part of them which belonged to the Romanov dynasty), and with this money she bought an estate in Bolshaya Ordynka Street. The estate included four houses and large gardens where Marfo-Mariinsky Convent of Mercy was later established. Nuns of the convent were engaged in charitable and medical work. The cathedral church of the monastery, Pokrovsky Cathedral, was designed by Alexei Shchusev, together with B.V. Freidenberg and L.V. Stezhensky.
According to the plan of Elizabeth Feodorovna, the monastery was to provide integrated, spiritual, educational and medical assistance to those in need. In the monastery were established various departments: a hospital, a dispensary, a chemist’s where medicine was given for free, an asylum, a kitchen and many other institutions. In Pokrovsky cathedral of the monastery educational lectures and discussions were held, the meetings of the Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society, the Geographical Society, spiritual reading and other activities took place. The abode continued its activities until 1926.
Currently the monastery operates a shelter for orphaned girls, a kitchen and the service department. Sisters of the convent work in military hospitals and in Sklifosovsky Emergency Care Research. In 2010 the territory of the convent opened a medical center "Mercy" that specializes in the rehabilitation of children with cerebral spastic infantile paralysis.