Moscow sightseeing tours
excursions!

 
   
 
 
Call us: +7 (965) 3813957 E-mail: mosguides@mail.ru
 
 
 

News

 

 Greater Church of the Ascension 

 
 

Greater Church of the Ascension is an orthodox church of the Central Deanery of the Diocese of Moscow. The main altar was consecrated in honor of the feast of the Ascension, other altars in honor of the Meeting of the Vladimir Icon of the Mother of God, in honor of the beheading of John the Baptist, in honor of St. Nicholas, in honor of the Mother of God "Joy of All Who Sorrow" and the side altar was consecrated in honor of Saint Tikhon, All Russia Patriarch.
The building of the temple is made in the style of Empire (1827 - 1848). The basis is a monumental rectangular volume decorated with side porticos where one can see the side altars of the Presentation icon of the Vladimir Mother of God and the Beheading of John the Baptist. The rectangular volume is completed with a cylindrical drum with a hemispherical golden dome. From the square there is a semicircular apse that is adjacent to the church. The Church had excellent acoustics. Now the building is an architectural dominant of the square.
In 1931 the church was closed. In 1937 the bell tower of the 17th century was demolished. Although the building has been left as a monument to Pushkin's era, much of the interior of the church was lost. In 1987-1990 the restoration of the temple took place, after which the church was transferred to the Moscow Patriarchate.


 
     
 

 Photo 

 
 
 
     
 
 
 
 

© 2010. All right reserved.
Made by www.yasite.ru