Moscow sightseeing tours
excursions!

 
   
 
 
Call us: +7 (965) 3813957 E-mail: mosguides@mail.ru
 
 
 

News

 

 Church of St. Nicholas in Khamovniki  

 
 

Church of St. Nicholas in Khamovniki is an Orthodox church in the center of Moscow. The church was built in 1679 - 1682 in the settlement of the royal weavers (who were called “Khamovniki”). The church is an architectural monument of the 17th century. There are a Sunday school and an Orthodox school in the church. The first mentioning of a wooden temple belongs to 1625, and in 1657 it was already a stone church. In 1677 the church received its full name of "St. Nicholas near metropolitan stables." The now existing church stands a little bit away from the original one that was built in 1679 under Tsar Fyodor Alexeyevich, and the consecration of the main temple was held in 1682. One pillar refectory with chapels and bell tower were added later. In 1812 the interior of the building was partially destroyed, but was rebuilt by 1849. At the beginning of the 19th century a fence and gates were erected. The temple was restored in 1896, 1949 and 1972. The church functioned during all reconstructions. In 1992 a bell weighing 108 pounds was raised to the bell tower. The main shrine of the temple is a miraculous icon of the Mother of God "Surety of Sinners".


 
     
 

 Photo 

 
 
 
     
 
 
 
 

© 2010. All right reserved.
Made by www.yasite.ru