Moscow sightseeing tours
excursions!

 
   
 
 
Call us: +7 (965) 3813957 E-mail: mosguides@mail.ru
 
 
 

News

 

 Church of Holy Prince Vladimir in Old Sadegh 

 
 

Church of Holy Prince Vladimir in Old Sadegh is an orthodox church of the Epiphany Deanery of the Diocese of Moscow City. The temple is situated in the Basmannyj area in the Central Administrative District of Moscow. The main altar was consecrated in honor of St. Prince Vladimir, the chapel in honor of the holy martyrs Boris and Gleb and in honor of the Holy Martyrs Kirik and Julitta.
Church of St. Vladimir is located in the historic district of Moscow which used to be called Kulishki. "Kulishki" is an old Russian word interpreted differently by different sources. Among the options can be found such meanings as “a swampy, boggy place” and “forest after felling”. Old district Kulishki was located at the confluence of the Moskva River and the Jauza. Currently this is Soljanka area. In the 15th century Basil I built here a summer palace with his home church that was consecrated in the name of Holy Prince Vladimir. The famous princely gardens with magnificent fruit trees were planted there. Near the gardens sovereign stables were located.
Stone church of St. Vladimir, built by master Aleviz (he is known for construction of the cathedral in Moscow), was consecrated in 1516. At the end of the 15th century Vladimir Ivanovsky monastery was founded next to the church and after the name of the monastery the hill became known as "Ivanovsky hill." In the second half of the 17th century the dilapidated church was rebuilt. The temple was dismantled up to the lower tier of the walls and was built anew, with the chapels and a multi-tiered bell tower. As a result, the temple work of Aleviz is preserved only in the lower part of the walls and in the south portal. At the end of the 18th century the bell tower was rebuilt. The church was rebuilt several times, eliminating the damage from large fires in Moscow, Trinity fire in 1737 and the fire of 1812.
Currently at the church there are a Sunday school, an Orthodox school, a kindergarten, a school of church music, an educational joinery, a charitable brotherhood in the name of Prince Vladimir and a publishing house.


 
     
 

 Photo 

 
 
 
     
 
 
 
 

© 2010. All right reserved.
Made by www.yasite.ru