Moscow sightseeing tours
excursions!

 
   
 
 
Call us: +7 (965) 3813957 E-mail: mosguides@mail.ru
 
 
 

News

 

 Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin in old Simonov 

 
 

Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin in old Simonov is a church in Moscow on the left bank of the Moskva River in the former Simonov settlement.
In 1370 on the place of the present church Simonov monastery was founded by Theodore Simonovskiy. In this monastery a wooden church was built but in 1379 the monastery was moved to a new location. In 1509 - 1510 instead of a wood church a stone one-domed church was built. In the 18th century near the church burials of heroes of the Battle of Kulikovo were discovered. In 1785-1787 there were built a refectory and a bell tower, and in 1849-1855 they were rebuilt. In the refectory two chapels were built: of St. Nicholas and of St. Sergius. In Sergius aisle in 1870 a cast iron headstone of Alexander Peresvet and Andrew (Rodion) Oslabya was set. In 1928 the church was closed. In 1932 the bell tower was demolished and the iron headstone for the heroes of the Battle of Kulikovo was destroyed. Only in 1989 the church was given to the believers. The church was re-consecrated. In 2006 the bell tower was restored. On the bell tower bell "Relight" was put. The bell was a gift from the governor of the Bryansk region, the birthplace of heroes and monks Peresvet and Oslabya.
After the opening of the temple there are stored: the venerated icon Tikhvin Mother of God; the carved Vlachernskaya icon of the Mother of God; the relics of Peresvet and Oslabya . In the temple there is a marble monument to these saints created by sculptor V.M. Klykov that formerly was situated in the refectory; the icon of Martyr Panteleimon with a part of his relics.


 
     
 

 Photo 

 
 
 
     
 
 
 
 

© 2010. All right reserved.
Made by www.yasite.ru