Moscow sightseeing tours
excursions!

 
   
 
 
Call us: +7 (965) 3813957 E-mail: mosguides@mail.ru
 
 
 

News

 

 Temple of the Transfiguration on the Sands 

 
 

Temple of the Transfiguration on the Sands is an Orthodox church, belonging to the Central deanery of Moscow City Diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church. The temple was built in 1711 in the style of Moscow churches of the 17th century. The church is an architectural monument of federal significance. The architecture of the temple of the Transfiguration on the Sands is characteristic of Moscow churches of the end of the 17th century. The temple was built according to a traditional longitudinal axis scheme. A low refectory connects the quadrangle with five domes and a belfry. The chapels of the temple are located asymmetrically. Decor elements of the church are made in the spirit of the 17th century – there are perspective portals and window frames. Transfiguration Temple plays an important role in the urban development of the composition in Spasopeskovskaya area.
Earlier at this place was a wooden church, known since 1642. In 1711, on its place was built a stone church of the Transfiguration on the Sands. This church has been preserved up to the present day. In 1763 at the expense of the titular counselor Mikhail Ivanov in the southwestern part of the refectory was built a chapel of Archangel Michael. During the fire of 1812 the roof was partially burned, and the church was looted. But two years later the temple was restored. After the introduction of Soviet power service temple continued for some time. The church was closed in 1932. The church building was in charge of the various institutions and as a result interior decoration and painting of the church were damaged. After the war the church was recognized an architectural monument. In 1960 restoration works were done. In 1991 the church was transferred to the Patriarchate. In 1993 it began its service.


 
     
 

 Photo 

 
 
 
     
 
 
 
 

© 2010. All right reserved.
Made by www.yasite.ru