Moscow sightseeing tours
excursions!

 
   
 
 
Call us: +7 (965) 3813957 E-mail: mosguides@mail.ru
 
 
 

News

 

 Church of St. Nicholas in Podkopai 

 
 

Church of St. Nicholas in Podkopai is an Orthodox church of the Epiphany deanery of Moscow diocese. The temple is located in Bely Gorod in Basmannyy district in Moscow. The main altar was consecrated in honor of Kazan Icon of the Mother of God, the chapel - in honor of St. Sergius of Radonezh and in honor of St. Nicholas.
The church was first mentioned in 1493 when Grand Prince Ivan III Vasilyevich retired there after the fire, which destroyed his palace in the Kremlin. Restoration studies have shown that the existing quadrangle temple was built in the 1550s. It was built from a thin brick which was also used in the construction of the chapels of Annunciation Cathedral in the Kremlin during the reign of Ivan the Terrible. In 1686 church cemetery was established. The same year the church is called stone church, and it has the name Church of St. Nicholas Podkopaev. In 1722 there were 2 thrones in the church: one in the name of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God and the other in the name of St. Nicholas. In 1731 a number modifications were made in the temple. In 1759 the existing bell tower was built. In 1812 the church suffered from the invasion of the French. In 1855 the church was handed to the Alexandrian patriarch farmstead.


 
     
 

 Photo 

 
 
 
     
 
 
 
 

© 2010. All right reserved.
Made by www.yasite.ru