Moscow sightseeing tours
excursions!

 
   
 
 
Call us: +7 (965) 3813957 E-mail: mosguides@mail.ru
 
 
 

News

 

 Church of St. Louis of France 

 
 

Church of St. Louis of France is a Catholic church in Moscow. It is one of the three existing Catholic churches in Moscow, along with the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary and the Church of St. Olga in Lublin. There are a Sunday school and scout movement in the church.
In 1789 the French living in Moscow petitioned for permission to build a Catholic church. After receiving the permission from the Moscow authorities and the approval of the Empress Catherine II a small wooden church was built. The consecration of the church in the name of the French King Louis IX Holy was held in 1791. In the 19th century the construction of a modern building on the site of the former temple was carried out. The construction was carried out in 1833 - 1835. Famous architect A.O.Gilardi built the temple. The consecration took place only in 1849. At Church of St. Louis there were two high schools – a male gymnasium of St.Philip Neri and a women's gymnasium of St.Catherine and also a charity shelter of St.Dorothea.
Church of St. Louis of France was built in the classical style. It is a basilica with a high central and lower side aisles. The entrance is decorated with a colonnade. On both sides of the colonnade are located low belfries. In the 1990s there was a large-scale reconstruction of the interior space of the church.


 
     
 

 Photo 

 
 
 
     
 
 
 
 

© 2010. All right reserved.
Made by www.yasite.ru