Moscow sightseeing tours
excursions!

 
   
 
 
Call us: +7 (965) 3813957 E-mail: mosguides@mail.ru
 
 
 

News

 

 Anglican Church of St. Andrew in Moscow 

 
 

Anglican Church of St. Andrew in Moscow is the only Anglican church in Moscow, the center of Moscow deaconry to which chaplaincies in St. Petersburg and Vladivostok belong. It is part of the Eastern Diocese of Gibraltar in Europe, which in turn is a part of the Province of Canterbury Church of England.
The church building was built in 1882 - 1884 years. Bishop Titkomb, who arrived from London, consecrated the church on the 13th of January, 1885. It was consecrated in honor of St. Andrew, the patron saint of Scotland.
The building was built by architect Neil Freeman in Victorian style, stylized in English Gothic. The church is a neo-Gothic nave red-brick basilica with tower, topped by four small pinnacles. Lancet windows of the church were decorated by stained glass which was lost in the Soviet era. The interior of the church is modest but due to this the ceiling of centenarian oak with rafters and beams creats the illusion of the Middle Ages and looks wonderfully. The entrance to the temple is decorated with images of two archangels - Gabriel and Michael.
Nowadays, every Thursday and Sunday, in the church a benefit concert of organ music is held. An electronic digital organ is used and an external speaker is installed in the choir loft of the church. The concerts involve professional musicians, winners of international competitions, the soloists of the Philharmonic and Bolshoi Theater, European orchestras and opera houses and famous groups. The collected funds are also used for the restoration of St. Andrew church.


 
     
 

 Photo 

 
 
 
     
 
 
 
 

© 2010. All right reserved.
Made by www.yasite.ru