State Theatre Museum named after A.A.Bakhrushin (former “Literature Theatre Museum of Emperor Academy of Science”) was founded in 1894 by a famous Russian tradesman and benefactor Aleksey Alexandrovich Bakhrushin. In the Large Soviet Encyclopedia this museum is described as the largest one theatre museum in the world.
The museum is located in A.A.Bakhrushin`s private residence in Zamoskvorechiye district. One – storey house in the early Gothic style is the main building of the museum built in 1896 according to the plan by architect Karl Gippius.
Beside the main building State Theatre Museum named after A.A.Bakhrushin has 9 affiliates which are houses and flats of outstanding Russian theatre workers and an exhibition hall:
- A.N.Ostrovsky memorial house
- M.S.Shchepkin memorial house
- M.N.Ermolova memorial house
- Vs.E.Meyerkhold memorial flat
- The Mironovs memorial flat
- V.N. Pluchev memorial flat
- G.S.Ulanova memorial flat
- Memorial museum “Stage designer D.L.Borovsky Art Studio”
- Theatre gallery in Malaya Ordynka Street
Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays – Sundays – 12 a.m. – 7 p.m. (ticket offices close at 6.30 p.m.)
Thursdays – 1 p.m. – 9 p.m. (ticket offices close at 8.30 p.m.)
Days off in summer – Mondays, Tuesdays, the last Friday of the month