Moscow sightseeing tours
excursions!

 
   
 
 
Call us: +7 (965) 3813957 E-mail: mosguides@mail.ru
 
 
 

News

 

 Annunciation Cathedral. Moscow excursions 

 
 

The Annunciation Cathedral is an orthodox cathedral named in honour of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin located in the Cathedral Square of the Moscow Kremlin. The Cathedral was built in 1489 by Pskov masters at the place of the older early 15th century cathedral. The Cathedral was seriously damaged during a 1547 fire and restored in 1564 with two built up cupolas from the western side. In 1572, a perron was built to the Cathedral which was later named Groznenskiy. The painting done in 1508 by artist Feodosiy, Dionisiy’s son, and the company, is partly preserved. The Cathedral’s iconostasis includes icons painted in 1405 by Andrey Rublev and Feofan Grek. Before the 18th century, it was the home church of Moscow sovereigns. Its protopopes were at same time the spiritual fathers of tsars. During the Petersburg period, the court status of the Cathedral’s protopresbyters was preserved.


 
     
 

 Photo 

 
 
 
     
 
 
 
 

© 2010. All right reserved.
Made by www.yasite.ru