Moscow sightseeing tours
excursions!

 
   
 
 
Call us: +7 (965) 3813957 E-mail: mosguides@mail.ru
 
 
 

News

 

 Cathedral of Christ the Saviour Moscow 

 
 

The Cathedral of Christ the Saviour, a cathedral church of the Russian Orthodox Church, is located near the Kremlin on the Moscow River left bank at the place which was previously named Chertolye (now Prechistenka). The existing building is an exterior reconstruction carried out in the 1990s of the same name cathedral built in the 19th century. The names of the Russian Army officers killed in the 1812 war were inscribed on the cathedral’s walls. The cathedral’s original version was erected as a sign of gratitude to God for saving Russia from the Napoleonic invasion. It was designed by architect Konstantin Ton. Its construction lasted for almost 44 years: the cathedral was founded on September 23, 1839; it was hallowed on May 26, 1883; and the cathedral’s building was destroyed on December 05, 1931. It was rebuilt in the same place between 1994-1999.    

Cathedral of Christ the Saviour Moscow


 
     
 

 Photo 

 
 
 
     
 
 
 
 

© 2010. All right reserved.
Made by www.yasite.ru