Moscow sightseeing tours
excursions!

 
   
 
 
Call us: +7 (965) 3813957 E-mail: mosguides@mail.ru
 
 
 

News

 

 Church of the Deposition of the Robe of the Holy Virgin. Moscow excursions 

 
 

The Church of the Deposition of the Robe of the Holy Virgin in the Moscow Kremlin is an architectural monument erected in 1484-1486 at the place of the church by the same name built in 1451. The Church was built by Pskov architects and until the middle of the 17th century it served as the home church for Moscow metropolitans, and then for patriarchs. In 1655, under Patriarch Nikon, the Church was transferred to the Grand Prince Palace and was connected by passages with the chambers of tsarinas and tsarevnas. In the second half of the 17th century, covered galleries were erected over the northern and western porches. The Cathedral’s name originates from a Byzantine celebration marking the arrival of the Robe of the Holy Virgin to Constantinople which, the legend says, saved the city from enemy invasions several times. The Church of the Deposition of the Robe of the Holy Virgin has one cupola; a perron is located at its southern side. Ivan Borisov, Sidor Pospeyev, and Semen Abramov participated in painting frescoes on the Church’s walls and narrow columns inside it in 1644. The frescoes show the Christ, prophets, and tsars, and also scenes from the life of the Holy Virgin. An impressive iconostasis was created by Nazariy Istomin in 1625.  


 
     
 

 Photo 

 
 
 
     
 
 
 
 

© 2010. All right reserved.
Made by www.yasite.ru