Moscow sightseeing tours
excursions!

 
   
 
 
Call us: +7 (965) 3813957 E-mail: mosguides@mail.ru
 
 
 

News

 

 Tsar Cannon. Moscow excursions 

 
 

The Tsar Cannon is a medieval piece of artillery, a monument to Russian artillery and casting art which was cast from bronze in 1586 by Russian master Andrey Chokhov in the Cannon Courtyard under the reign of Tsar Fedor Ivanovich. The Canon is 5.34 m long; its barrel outer diameter is 120 cm; its barrel decorative belt diameter is 134 cm; its calibre is 890 mm, and its weight is 39.31t (2,400 poods). It is decorated with relief belts; the right side of the barrel section has a picture of Tsar Fedor Ivanovich on horseback. According to one legend, the Tsar Canon name is connected with the picture of Tsar Fedor Ivanovich; however, it is more plausible that its name has to do with the Canon’s significant dimensions. Gun carriages and decorative cannon balls decorated with cast ornaments were made in 1835 in St. Petersburg’s plant of Berd according to architect A. P. Bryullov’s sketch and engineer P. Ya. De Vitte’s drawings. Initially conceived for Kremlin defence purposes, the Tsar Canon was installed in the cannon unwind stand near the Place of Execution in Red Square; however, the Canon was never involved in any hostilities. In the 18th century, the Cannon moved to the Moscow Kremlin.      


 
     
 

 Photo 

 
 
 
     
 
 
 
 

© 2010. All right reserved.
Made by www.yasite.ru